Sunday, May 27, 2012

Father's day photo props for collage project

 I want to do a photo collage for Father's Day.  After looking through Pinterest, I knew I wanted to make some photo props other than the thought bubbles I made earlier this week.  I bought the letters D A D, a stiff felt heart, and a plain wooden spool (to be the handle on the heart).  Here are the painted letters and the heart with the wooden handle attached.  I used Martha Stewarts satin finish paints in deep sea, pesto, and pool (my husband's favotire colors--blue & green).

2nd pic showing wooden handle glued on the back of the heart

Thanks for looking!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pot Luck Lunch, Ramen noodle Salad and Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

We are going to a pot luck lunch today, and I'm taking two of my stand-by dishes.  Ramen Noodle Salad and Cake Batter Rice Krispie treats.
Ramen Noodles Salad
1 pkg ramen noodles - oriental
1 pkg ramen noodles - chicken
1 package broccoli slaw mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 c toasted slivered almonds
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
2 chicen breasts, cubed & cooked (i normally leave this out)
1 package of craisins
Toast almonds on cookie sheet at 350 for approximately 10 minutes.
Set aside flavor packets from ramen noodles.  break up uncooked ramen noodles and put into large bowl.  Add in the broccoli slaw mix, the bag of craisins, the sunflower seeds, and the chicken if you are using it.  In a smaller bowl mix together the rest of the ingredients, add int he flavor packets from the ramen noodles and mix together well.  Poor over the rest of the ingredients in the big bowl.  add in the toasted almonds.  mix together well and refridgerate for 3 hours.  ENJOY!

Cake batter rice krispie treats.  Follow the recipe on the cereal box.  before adding in the dry cereal, I add in 1/3 cup of dry yellow cake batter.  then mix together as normal and put into pan.  Top with sprinkles!  ENJOY!

Thanks for looking!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bird seed wreath and feeders

I saw this idea for a Birdseed wreath with gelatin
8 tablespoons cold water
4 - 1/4 ounce packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups boiling water
8 cups birdseed
2-3 large straws

1. Empty the 4 packages of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl. Let the gelatin sit for 1 minute.
2. Meanwhile, boil the 1 1/2 cups of water. Add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until the gelatin has dissolved.
3. Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
4. Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process a few times allowing the seed to absorb the liquid.  
We took a large straw (Circle K's Big Gulp straws and cut them in pieces for ribbon holes for the ones shaped in cookie cutters)  We did a double recipe.  I bought a bag of wild bird seed and I also recycled the birdseed that I used in her zoo sensory tub last year.  So we ended with one large bundt pan wreath and about 13 small treats shaped with cookie cutters! 
Thanks for looking!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

play-doh for the month

Naters asked me to make play-doh and she even told me what colors she wanted.

I mix all the dry ingredients in a saucepan.  Then I add wilton gel food coloring to the water.  then add in the wet ingredients.  stir together well.  Add in scent oils if you want now.  turn on the heat, continue stirring.  when you have a dry ball turn it out of the pan onto a cutting board, knead in glitters.  I use poly flake and martha stewarts ultra fine glitters.  it does take a lot of glitter, don't be shy with it.  Put in air-tight container, and bring out play-doh for play and school use. 

Thanks for looking!

Monday, May 21, 2012

making chalkboard thought bubble photo prop

I purchased a black foam board, a spray can of Krylon chalkboard paint, and two wooden candle cups to use as handles.  I free-hand drew what I wanted on the foam board.  used a razor knife to cut it out.  sanded the edges with sand paper.  applied four coats of chalkboard paint over two days.  then used tacky glue to glue on the handles.  I thought they came out pretty well.